Single-seat multi-functional super-maneuverable fighter.
The Su-35 aircraft is designed on the base of technology applied for development of the fifth generation aircraft, with the experience of the Su-27 multipurpose aircraft family operation. Su-35 is intended to increase the Russian Federation Air Force combat potential and “Su”-family aircraft export potential. The aircraft has an ability to use the whole range of existing and prospective “air-to-air” and “air-to-surface” weapon, including high-precision ones. On February 19, 2008 the first prototype made its first flight at the Flight Scientific Research Institute named after Gromov, and on October 2, 2008 the second aircraft made its first flight from JSC “KNAAPO” airfield. In August, 2009 the Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation has concluded the Government Contract for the Su-35S aircraft production and deliveries as from the year of 2010.
Su-35 is designed to gain air superiority through manned and unmanned aircraft destroying by guided missiles in medium and long range engagements and dogfights; to destroy ground and surface targets by all type of weapon, as well as destroy the enemy ground infra-structure facilities located very far from the base airfields heavily protected by the active AAD system. Su-35 is a profound modernized variant of the Su-27 fighter aimed to enhance the aircraft combat efficiency when attack aerial, ground and sea targets. The Su-35 design incorporated the best engineering solutions worked through on the Su-27/Su-30 family fighters. The aircraft maintenance and support system meets the world’s standards requirements.
New engines with all-aspect TVC nozzle and thrust of 14,500 kg are installed on the air-craft. The inner fuel capacity is increased and the aircraft can carry two external fuel tanks with 2,000 liters capacity. The aircraft is equipped with the new Integrated digital aircraft con-trol system (ICS) carried out the functions of Fly-by-wire and Automatic Flight Control systems, Signal limiting system and Air Data System, and Landing Gear Wheel Braking Control System. The aircraft boasts of new avionics with the use of multiplex communication links, and phased array radar. Wide-angle colour head-up display and two large-format colour MFDs form the aircraft indication system. Due to the cockpit lightening equipment the pilot can use night vision goggle.
The aircraft is equipped with the auxiliary power unit providing for the cockpit and aircraft equipment power supply and conditioning while ground maintenancte without ground support means application.
The Su-35 aircraft is designed by “Sukhoi Design Bureau”, but its production is mastered at the Komsomolsk-on-Amur Aircraft Production Association named after Gagarin.
The Su-35 merits are the following:
- Supreme flight performance, superagility mode
- Long range information targeting system
- Advanced jam-resistant secure communication system providing data link between the aircraft and ground-based command centers
- High-performance air-to-air and air-to-surface long- medium-, and short-range guided weapon mounted externally on 14 hardpoints
- High-performance EW and ECM systems
- Electronic reconnaissance system
- Design features aimed at stealth capability enhancement
- New indication and signaling system with Multifunctional Display, notable for its enlarged capacity and advanced quality of provided data
- In-flight refueling system.
Cockpit Management System.
- Pilot’s dual-access information support (visual and audio);
- Automation of the weapon application and aircraft control with the prompts forming in critical situations;
- Complete information interchangeability of the displays in the cockpit;
- Onboard equipment and weapons application control with the use of HOTAS (Hands on Throttle and Stick) concept in stressed phases of combat task solving.
HMS – Helmet-Mounted Targeting System provides for operational targets designation for the missiles seekers in wide range of the viewing angles.
Large-format colour displays provide the pilot with all required real-time flight and tactical information with the displayed information type option.
Optical Location System.
The Su-35 aviation complex can operate independently and in a group, interact with other forces during net operations controlled by aerial, ground and shipborne command posts.
Electronic Countermeasure Equipment.
The Su-35 aircraft power plant consists of two “117S” bypass turbojet engines with aggregates provide for power supply of the aircraft consumers. The power plant operation is provided by engine management and control systems, cooling system, fire-extinguisher system, and inlet control system.
The "117S" Engine
Further modification of the Su-27 AL-31F engine. It has a variable low-pressure compressor, all-axis TVC-nozzles, new digital engine system and inlet control system.
Auxiliary Power Plant.
It provides for aircraft independent operation with power supply and air conditioning system operation without GSE application.
Additional photos and videos: